Sunday, January 10, 2016

Exercise Plan 1/11 to 1/17

So last week was tough. There were some weather-related issues (we got unexpected snow here in Portland, which turned to ice and shut the schools down for two days!) and I think I got a little overambitious with the running program, especially considering it's winter and super cold outside. But I'm glad I set a schedule for myself, it was very useful reminder.

Here's how I did with last week's exercise plan:

Monday 1/4
Yoga day 4 – done! I'm really loving this Yoga program and look forward to doing it everyday.
Couch to 5K WK1 day 1 – not done. The weather and icy conditions kept me inside.
18 knee pushups – done! And boy were my arms and chest sore!

Tuesday 1/5
Yoga day 5 - done!
30 minutes Elliptical trainer – The roads were still icy and the boys were still home from school so I didn't get to the gym.
18 squats – done! Plus I added shoulder raises with the squats to make them more of a cardio workout and work on my arms. It felt good!
15 crunches – done! Crunches are the worst, but they are so important for a strong core.

Wednesday 1/6
Yoga day 6 - done!
Couch to 5K WK1 day 2 - I did 40 minutes on the elliptical at the gym instead. It was too cold to run outside (OK too cold if you consider 34 degrees cold, which I do!) and I don't like doing the stop and go running this program needs on the treadmill. I felt like I got a good workout on the elliptical though.
20 knee pushups - done!

Thursday 1/7
Yoga day 7 - done!
30 minutes Elliptical trainer - not done :-(  I didn't get to the gym today. Some work issues kept me at home and Thursday is a short day for my 5-year-old so somehow gym time got lost int he shuffle. I'll need to be better in the future about making it a priority.
20 squats - done! With shoulder raises!
20 crunches - done!

Friday 1/8
Yoga day 8 - done!
Couch to 5K WK1 day 3 - Again the cold kept me from running, but I did take a 40 minute walk once it got sunny (to the store to grab some groceries) and got to the gym and did 40 minutes on the elliptical. 
25 knee pushups - done! Though this was tough, I'm really glad the Fitness 22 Pushup app gives you rest time in between sets, I needed it!

Saturday 1/9
Yoga day 9 - done!
26 squats - done! I added shoulder raises to the first 20 but had to put down my 5 lb weights for the last 6 because my arms were tired.
25 crunches - done!

Sunday 1/10
Yoga day 10 - done!

Thoughts: Well now I can see why I only had a .2 pound weight loss this week. I only did cardio for 2 of the 7 days, and if I want to burn off that fat, I'm going to have to do more. One of my goals is to run a half-marathon this year, but as a pretty newbie runner, it's hard to get up the motivation to get out and struggle through a run when the weather is a (cold to me) 30 degrees. I may have to focus on things I can do at the gym and then try to sneak in a run when the weather gets warmer (like maybe to 50? I know, I'm a wimp!). But the daily yoga is the BEST! Not only do I feel better but it's really helping with my strength and flexibility. I love it!

So keeping in mind what I did (and didn't) do last week, here's my new exercise plan for this coming week:

Exercise Plan 1/11 – 1/17

Monday 1/11
Yoga day 11 – I’m doing Yoga with Adriene’s 30 Days of Yoga Challenge
30 minutes Elliptical trainer – I’ll be using the elliptical trainer at the gym
27 knee pushups – I’m using Fitness22’s Pushups app (it’s free!)

Tuesday 1/12
Yoga day 12
30 minutes Elliptical trainer 
32 squats – I’m using Fitness22’s Squat Workout app (it’s free!)
29 crunches – I’m using Fitness22’s Sit Ups app (it’s free!)

Wednesday 1/13
Yoga day 13
30 minutes Elliptical trainer 
28 knee pushups

Thursday 1/14
Yoga day 14
30 minutes Elliptical trainer
36 squats
30 crunches

Friday 1/15
Yoga day 15
30 minutes Elliptical trainer
29 knee pushups

Saturday 1/16
Yoga day 16
40 squats
33 crunches

Sunday 1/17
Yoga day 17

So as you can see, I removed the C25K running and replaced them with gym days on the elliptical. I'll try to get out and do a run depending on the weather, but I'll also try to go to the gym at least 5 days this week and get that 30 minutes of cardio. I'll also see if there's the opportunity to get some additional cardio in, like a walk or an extra gym day, if I can.

Have a great week!

- c


*just an FYI – I don’t get any compensation from the links on this page. They are just to let you know which program I am doing. Feel free to try them out yourself!